Tagged: Poland

BLOG: Calculated Loss

Four football players from one national team. Jakub Błaszczykowski, Arkadiusz Milik, Krzysztof Maczynski and Kamil Glik who all have more than football in common. All four of them lost their parents to alcohol use. Their childhood was not about running around after the ball happily and lightheartedly. They got to witness death and poverty. They had to experience anger and resentment…

NEWS: Poland: Rising Alcohol Use And Harm

The current trend of alcohol consumption at population level in Poland deserves a red flag. Consumption rates have increased by 30% in Poland between 2001 and 2012. This is in sharp contrast to the yearly decline in consumption the country had enjoyed since 1980. The rising trend is more relevant than ever in Poland due to the concurrent increase in other factors like obesity and diabetes. Combining these risk factors may dramatically raise the number of hospitalizations over the next two decades. Current research has found that even one glass of wine per night increases the risk of breast and other forms of cancer. Alcohol harm has a significant effect on society as a whole. An estimated 28 billion PLN was lost in 2015 due to alcohol-related problems. Current models apply 55% of the cost onto society through the loss in work productivity, loss of income taxes, and the extra financial burden on the healthcare system. The other 45% goes directly to the abuser’s family through lost wages and even patient death…

BLOG: IOGT Prevention Conference: Kicking Off 2015 With Innovation, Inspiration

Inspiring snapshots from the IOGT Prevention Conference, held in Oslo, Norway, where IOGT members from Europe, East Africa, India and South-East Asia were exploring innovative approaches and exchanging inspiring success stories of impactful prevention work…

BLOG: Inspire Freedom Flashmob In A City Near You

For 2015, we are in great position to take the Inspire Freedom campaign to the next level. The Community Action Guide provides for a number of actions – and I’m really excited to announce our very first global Inspire Freedom community action day…

BLOG: Children Of Alcoholics Week 2014

It is that time of the year – the week in which we celebrate the day of love is also the week in which we remind of the lack of that love that many young people and children around us are exposed to. Valentines Day and CoA Week fall together, and that is not by coincidence. It cannot merely be a coincidence to think that all children deserve to have a free, joyful and loving childhood. Because, childhood is that time of life where dreams are born, where characters are shaped, where future is projected…

BLOG: What Uefa knows, that Fifa doesn’t…

In a couple of months, Europe will once again enjoy the big party of a European Football Championship, this time hosted by both Poland and Ukraine.

June will be dedicated to this tournament, where 16 countries compete for one title and Millions of viewers, supporters and fans from all over the continent will make it an unforgettable event.

To make sure that everybody truly can enjoy the game of football, the performances of the stars and the atmosphere in and around the stadiums, the decision-makers in both hosting countries are taking their responsibility.