- This event has passed.
CSocD56 Side Event: Comprehensive Approach To Alcohol In SDGs Era
Feb 5 '18, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
The International Federation for Family Development with IOGT International cordially invite to a UN Side Event and panel discussion at the 56th session of the Commission for Social Development (CSocD56).
Addiction prevention, treatment and recovery as tools to eradicate poverty and boost development
Conference room D, GA Building
UN Headquarters, New York
Harmful substances – alcohol and other drugs – are obstacles to sustainable development – adversely affecting individuals, families, communities, and societies. Alcohol and other drugs are fuelling the vicious cycle of poverty, ill-health and marginalization.
With a line-up of extraordinary speakers, this Panel Discussion will provide state-of-the-art knowledge and under- standing of the subject matter:
- How alcohol and other drugs impact sustainable development and poverty eradication on different levels.
- Analyze how different groups and communities are affected and explore solutions for transformative change.
- Present concrete best practices from grass-roots initiatives.
- Discuss ways forward for urgent action to prevent and reduce harm caused by alcohol and other drugs to contribute to sustainable development.
Program and speakers
- Substance abuse and the SDGs
Werner Obermeyer, WHO Office at the United Nations, New York
- Recovery ready communities
Justin Luke Riley, CEO Young People in Recovery, USA
- Adrienne Abbate, Executive Director, Staten Island Partnership for community Wellness
Women and Alcohol: How big is the burden and what are the solutions?
- Rights-based rehabilitation programs in poorest communities. Perspectives from Uganda
David Kalema, CEO Hope and Beyond, Uganda
- Community-based and evidence-based prevention and rehabilitation interventions. Perspectives from Sri Lanka
Pubudu Sumanasekara, CEO, Alcohol and Drug Information Center, Sri Lanka
- Substance abuse and families: How big is the problem and what to do about it?
Ignacio Socias, Director of Communications and international rela- tions, International Federation for Family Development
- Societies of addiction: what works to tackle harmful sub- stances on population level?
Robert Pezzolesi, Chair, US Alcohol Policy Alliance
Moderator: Kristina Sperkova, International President, IOGT International
- United Nations Headquarters, New York, NY, United States
- United Nations Headquarters, New York, NY, United States United States + Google Map