- This event has passed.
UNPFII Sixteenth Session
April 24 - May 5
UN Permanent Forum On Indigenous Issues 16th Session, 2017
Tenth Anniversary of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples: measures taken to implement the Declaration
Provisional agenda for UNPFII 16th session
1. Election of officers.
2. Adoption of the agenda and organization of work.
3. Follow-up to the recommendations of the Permanent Forum:
(a) Empowerment of indigenous women;
(b) Indigenous youth.
4. Implementation of the six mandated areas of the Permanent Forum with reference to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
5. Dialogue with indigenous peoples.
6. Dialogue with Member States.
7. Dialogue with the funds, programmes and specialized agencies of the United Nations system.
8. Discussion on the theme “Tenth anniversary of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples: measures taken to implement the Declaration”.
9. 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
10. Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples and the Chair of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples with regard to indigenous human rights defenders.
11. Follow-up to the outcome document of the World Conference on Indigenous Peoples:
(a) Implementation of national action plans, strategies or other measures;(b) Ways to enhance the participation of indigenous peoples at the United Nations;
(b) Implementation of the United Nations system-wide action plan on indigenous peoples.
12. Future work of the Permanent Forum, including issues considered by the Economic and Social Council and emerging issues.
13. Provisional agenda for the seventeenth session.
14. Adoption of the report of the Permanent Forum on its sixteenth session.
The United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII) is a high- level advisory body to the Economic and Social Council. The Forum was established on 28 July 2000 by resolution 2000/22, with the mandate to deal with indigenous issues related to economic and social development, culture, the environment, education, health and human rights.
More specifically, the Permanent Forum:
- provides expert advice and recommendations on indigenous issues to the Council, as well as to programmes, funds and agencies of the United Nations, through ECOSOC;
- raises awareness and promotes the integration and coordination of activities related to indigenous issues within the UN system;
- prepares and disseminates information on indigenous issues The Permanent Forum holds annual two-week sessions.