Living Drug Free is a prevention approach and program originally produced by the Swedish IOGT Guide and Scout Association (NSF).
The aim of the is to help youth leaders create safe and enabling environments, in which young people can feel empowered to make up their own minds on preferences, dreams and hopes, to form their own lifestyle choices and to develop self-esteem and self-confidence.
The Living Drug Free approach fosters critical thinking, team-spirit and compassion and independence.
Most parts of the material contain evaluation exercises of different kinds.
Norms not fears, empowerment not information
This prevention approach builds on the understanding that it is not the harm and hazards associated with alcohol and other drugs that young people need to learn about in order to choose a life free from drugs. Instead, we are convinced – and research backs up our conviction – that empowering, not scaring, youth, involving, not teaching, and building their capacities instead of preaching will provide all the tools and skills for young people to think independently and make healthy choices.
What does influence how children and young people make their choices are attitudes and values. This is why we must find ways to help young people make choices based on their own, individual convictions, and help them become aware of what these are and how they guide each and every choice one makes.
The Living Drug Free program offers a number of exciting activities
- I, Myself: Exercises for strengthening self-confidence and self-knowledge
- Icebreakers: Games and exercises to prepare for a choice of evaluation exercise
- Evaluation exercises: How to conduct evaluation exercises, and why
- ”Hot chair”: Suggestions for statements for the Hot Chair evaluation exercise
- Four trees, or corners: Suggestions for statements for the Four Trees evaluation exercise
- Finish the sentence: Suggestions for statements for the Finish the Sentence evaluation exercise
- Line up/Scale: Suggestions for statements for the Line Up evaluation exercise
- Listing: Suggestions for statements for the Listing evaluation exercise
- Parents: Exercises aiming at strengthening parents in their Parental Role
- Drama: Suggestions for Drama Exercises
- Facts: Exercises based on facts and attitudes. Mainly meant for youth between 16 to 19 years old, and youth leaders
Download the program for free: Living Drug Free Prevention Method